So I stole this. Or perhaps more appropriately, I “appropriated” it.
I can take no credit for this, but it is brilliant.
My friend Cathy Mahady writes a blog that I read every day. She believes that her life and her business are both enhanced by helping people. And that’s what she does.
Cathy decided to take a challenge and write a piece describing herself using a pre-defined set of criteria.
It was designed so that visitors to her blog would get to know her better. Who she is. What she stands for.
We should all do this.
So here’s my challenge to you. Read Cathy’s post copied verbatim below (yes, I am admitting to being a plagiarist but Cathy will still be my friend).
Then, write your own “7 Things About Me”.
You must compose it by answering the same 7 questions used in Cathy’s post below.
When you are done, email it to me and I’ll post it here on masterpresenter.net.
I think this is what they mean by paying it forward.
Thanks for getting the ball rolling Cathy.
From Cathy Mahady
1. Why I Get Out of Bed Everyday … My children. My son is 21 years old and still my lil’ guy. (But don’t tell him I said that). And my daughter is 6 years old and she is my big girl. I am parenting a young adult (and don’t fool yourself that you will be done parenting them … ever) and a young child. So the fourteen years that separate them has created an interesting life for sure. They give my life meaning and purpose.
2. What I Love … Live theater. I saw the play “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat”, oh, probably, at least 50 times. My first job was as an usherette at the Chanhassen Dinner Theatres from 1982 – 1984. “Go, Go, Go Joseph.”
3. Where I Have Been … Okinawa, Japan. I lived on this tropical paradise for three years with my ex-husband while he was part of the Army Special Forces. I obtained my degree in Psychology there from the University of Maryland. And my son was born there. My dream is to return with my son and show him where he spent the first year of his life. Did you know that their ovens are only big enough to fit half a frozen pizza?
4. Where I Want to Go … Washington D.C. I want to see the White House, the Lincoln Memorial, the Smithsonian Institute, and Mount Vernon. However, this is not my husband’s idea of a dream vacation. So he said he’d meet me on the beaches of the world when I am done touring the sites of our nation’s history. D.C. anyone?
5. What I Know … The little things matter. That it’s the small, insignificant daily actions that make the difference, all the difference, in what you achieve in life. “Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” Vincent Van Gogh.
6. What Motivates Me … My theme song “I’m So Lucky” by Leslie Mills. Every day I watch my music video of my dream board pictures with this song reminding me to be grateful for all the wonderful things in my life and getting me excited about those things yet to come.
I am lucky, yeah, that’s right
You better believe it
I look good, don’t need to fall
Because today, I’ve got it all!
I’m so lucky
Nothin’s gonna bring me down today
I’m so lucky
I’m counting stars with nothin’ in my way
7. What I Learned … While doing this exercise I realized that despite living a successful and fulfilled life, it has been pretty stable, uneventful, well honestly, kinda boring. I have never had the privilege of licking a banana slug like my good friend did during her youthful years. But as I am reminded by another dear friend, it’s never too late to live out your dreams! So just cause I haven’t jumped to the wild side in my past, doesn’t mean I can’t in the future.
Saul’s footnote: I’ll pass on licking the banana slug thing. But thanks for sharing.
Email your “7 Things About Me” to email@example.com and watch for updates.